SELLY PARK CONVENT PRIMARY SCHOOL RULES
As updated April 2018
Selly Park Primary School is a Catholic School and all rules and regulations are in line with our Mission Statement and reflect the expected norms of Selly Park Convent Primary School.
At our School students will, at all times, aim to uphold the principles and Code of Conduct of the School, and aim to bring credit to our School by their courtesy and behaviour, especially when in School uniform.
These rules will apply during normal School hours as well as during any extracurricular activities sanctioned by the School.
Transgression of these rules will be dealt with in accordance with the various School Policies applicable to each transgression.
- All safety rules of the School are to be adhered to.
- All policies of the School are to be adhered to.
- Students must acknowledge and respect the Catholic Ethos of the School.
- Students must behave at all times to persons in positions of authority as well as their peers, with respect, courtesy, tolerance and consideration at all times.
- Politeness to teachers, staff, visitors and one another is expected from students at all times. Students should greet a Teacher or visitor first.
- Abusive language, swearing, or whistling will not be tolerated.
- Any form of insolent, bullying, provocative and intimidatory behaviour, victimisation, racist/sexist behaviour, physical or verbal abuse by students will not be tolerated.
- No aggressive behaviour, playful or otherwise, will be tolerated.
- No undesirable literature, pictures or articles are to be brought to School.
- Students will at all times be cooperative and attentive and not disrupt lessons or distract fellow students.
- Theft is not tolerated.
- The possession, consumption, dealing in or distribution of alcohol, narcotics or cigarettes whilst on School premises or when representing the School, is prohibited.
- As English is the chosen language of learning and teaching, students are expected to speak English throughout the School day, except during other language tuition, when they will speak the language required.
- Students are expected to complete all reasonable academic tasks, including homework, to the best of their ability and within the allocated time.
- Students will participate in all aspects of School life as per the Admissions Policy, unless written permission has been granted by the Principal.
- Students are required to act in a manner which will not bring the good name of the School into disrepute.
- Students are not permitted to chew gum during School hours or to eat during lessons.
- No toys may be brought to School unless for School sanctioned activities.
- No dangerous weapons or firearms are to be brought onto the School premises or to School sanctioned activities.
- No age inappropriate physical contact is allowed.
- Cell Phones are not allowed in School or at any school related event.
- If students are required to take medication during the school day, the medication must be handed to the class teacher for safekeeping. A letter from parents, specifying the dosage, needs to be sent to the class teacher. The class teacher will then supervise the student taking the medication
- In order to be marked present for a particular School day, a learner has to remain at School until 10:00am.
- Other than illness, a student may not be absent without the prior consent of the Principal. Requests for permission to leave early are to be in writing.
- If a student is ill a letter from the parent must be given to the School on the student’s return.
- If students miss a scheduled Assessment Test or Assessment Task, a doctor’s certificate is required.
- Students will attend all School events that take place during School hours.
- Students will be expected to attend Mass, Assembly and Hymn Singing.
- Participation in School Physical Education classes is compulsory.
- If a learner cannot participate for medical reasons a letter from the parents is required.
Chronic illness will require a doctor’s certificate.
The Uniform Policy of the School is to be adhered to at all times
- Official School uniform must be worn at all times between School and home and at all School functions.
- Students may not wear white or coloured vests or T-shirts which show above their uniform shirts/blouses.
- No jewellery, except a plain neutral coloured wrist watch. No “smart” watches allowed.
- All property must be clearly marked, including School bags.
- No graffiti allowed on School bags, sports bags or other personal belongings used for School.
- School bags must be black or navy – “Carrimor” or equivalent size that is able to fit under School chair.
- Shoes must be polished regularly.
- Shoes must be neatly tied at all times.
- All hair styles must be neat and appropriate for School.
- Hair must be tied up once it touches the collar.
- Sensible hair extensions are allowed. (Hair extensions must be regularly maintained)
- All long hair and hair extensions must be tied back neatly away from the eyes, or collected in a bun.
- No more than two ponytails are allowed.
- Bands and accessories must be navy blue.
- Must be cut above the ears and collar.
- Steps and styled or gelled hair is not permitted.
- Hair may not be shaved off completely (no shorter than number 3) – if done so for medical or religious reasons, a note from a doctor and/or parent is required.
- No patterns may be shaved into hair.
Boys & Girls:
- No tinting or highlighting of hair is permitted (hair must be student’s natural colour).
- No “undercuts” are allowed.
GROUNDS AND BUILDINGS:
- Students are to refrain from any behaviour or act of negligence with respect to School facilities which could cause loss, damage or injury to the staff, the property of the School and/or fellow students.
- Grade 1 – 7 students must be on the School premises when the School bell rings at 07:00am.
- Reception School students are to be in their classrooms by 07:30am and may be collected from their classrooms by parents at 1:00pm.
- Break bells will be complied with by all students.
- Before School or during breaks, students may not enter the buildings or corridors, but are to remain outside in the designated playing area.
- No student may leave the School grounds at any time without the prior permission of the Principal.
- The School grounds must be kept free of litter.
- Students must not damage School or personal property.
- Graffiti is not permitted.
- No Students may remain in a classroom at break unless a Teacher is present.
- All movement along the corridors must be quiet and orderly. Children must be quiet when going to and leading off from Assembly.
- Students must queue quietly and in an orderly manner in front of the Tuck Shop.
- Behaviour in public areas of the School may be monitored by CCTV for discipline purposes and safety.
- Students must leave School premises by 13:45 or immediately after extra mural activities.
- No corporal punishment will be administered.
- Students will be counselled and disciplined.
- Parents will be consulted if the School counselling should fail to elicit a response from the student.
- A student will be suspended by the Principal for serious misdemeanours, as per the school’s Code of Conduct.
- The Executive of the Board of Governors reserves the right to expel a child if he/she does not comply with the Code of Conduct of this School.