Time 2 Read: Phonics and Spelling
- Children learn the 42 sounds in English
- Sounds are taught “Fast and Furiously”
- The programme was developed by Marit Paul, a speech and language therapist.
- A diagnostic test is done annually to monitor progress in reading, spelling, and comprehension skills.
- Teachers receive continuous training
- Spelling is code-based following the Time2Read Programme
- Characters remain the same throughout the phase
- Children identify with the characters in the book
- Readers are bright and colourful
- Good repetition of vocabulary at each level
- Group, guided and shared reading
- Love for reading encouraged
- Learners taught to read with comprehension
- Each book is a wonderful adventure for the children.
- Children are encouraged to think creatively, logically and independently
- Good step by step progression
- Concrete aids are used to encourage practical learning
- Fun activities to cover all mathematical concepts
- Love for mathematics instilled in each learner
- Life Skills consist of Beginning Knowledge, Creative Arts, Physical Education and Personal and Social Well-being.
- Different themes are covered throughout the year.
- Afrikaans is introduced as a First Additional language in Grade 1.
- The focus is on helping learners speak/understand Afrikaans before moving on to more formal writing tasks.
The Foundation Phase has Specialist Teachers to encourage our children in all areas of education.
- Computer Application Technology
- Religious Education